Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Giver

I enjoyed reading The Giver, by Lois Lowry. I have found each one of her books that I have read to be very interesting.

This book is about a boy (Jonas) living in a strict community, governed by sameness. Each person is expected to be as alike as possible. But Jonas, with pale eyes, is different than his friends and classmates.

Although I would hate to be in Jonas's position, I loved reading about his life and the changes he experienced.

I had read this book once before, at a younger age. And I still got the same meaning out of it this time.

The book ended on a happy note, I believe. Gabe and Jonas went on to live happy lives with a family and with choices and more freedom than they had ever known before. But I wish the author had written more about the outcome of the boys' adventure, searching for "Elsewhere."

No comments: